2 Samuel 23:13-17 NIV
During harvest time, three of the thirty chief warriors came down to David at the cave of Adullam, while a band of Philistines was encamped in the Valley of Rephaim. At that time David was in the stronghold, and the Philistine garrison was at Bethlehem. David longed for water and said, “Oh, that someone would get a me a drink of water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem!” So the three mighty warriors broke through the Philistine lines, drew water from the well near the gate of Bethlehem and carried it back to David. But he refused to drink it; instead, he poured it out before the Lord. “Far be it from me, Lord, to do this!” he said. “Is it not the blood of men who went at the risk of their lives?” And David would not drink it. Such were the exploits of the three mighty warriors.
• These three warriors heard what the King wanted and went for it
PARALLEL: King David = Jesus
We need to be able to hear the King • There are many ways to hear Jesus: He sometimes speaks audibly, He speaks through the Bible, the Holy Spirit, friends, spouse, pastors, leaders, your own conscience — He speaks nonstop; it’s up to you whether or not you catch His voice • Be careful how you hear the voice of God, because your past experiences can affect how you hear • Learn to take God’s Word at face value — as long as it lines up with the Bible
THREE THINGS THAT ALLOWED THESE GUYS TO HEAR THE KING'S WHISPER:
1) They were close. High level basketball players have trained themselves to only hear the voices of the coach and the captain. Well, Jesus is our coach. Your pastor is the captain. The pastor still in the game, fighting along with us, but we need to listen to Him.
• God doesn’t just speak to you when it’s convenient. He speaks to you whenever He wants. • There was a lot of stuff going on, and yet they still heard the King.
IF WE ARE GOING TO BE CLOSE TO GOD, WE NEED TO DO THESE THREE THINGS:
A) CONSTANT COMMUNION
1 Thessalonians 5:17 NIV
• Be conscious of Jesus, always. Just go about your day WITH JESUS.
B) RADICAL READING Read Psalm 119 - It’s all about the Word of God.
S. — Scripture O. — Observation A. — Application P. — Prayer
• Radical reading is dynamic reading. • The Bible is not a book full of quotes; It’s how God speaks to you.
C) FAITHFUL FELLOWSHIP Just coming to church doesn’t make you a Christian. Set aside other days and get into this community – decide to build the church.
Matthew 18:20 NIV
For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.
Hebrews 10:24-25 NIV
And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.
2) They acted on what they heard. Advice is important, so don’t be too proud to accept it. The Bible is all the advice you need. On the other hand, delayed obedience isn’t.
James 1:22-24 NIV
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.
• It’s not what you’ve heard, it’s what you do with what you’ve heard.
3) They had to break through the enemy’s lines to get the water. If you hear it, then act on it. There’s a good chance that you will have to fight for it as well.
You have to be willing to put stuff on hold and even face persecution. Maybe you should be that weird person in the office. Be the one.