A lot of people are hiding more in life than they realize. There’s a part of our human nature that innately knows where we’ve messed up.. so we hide.
Genesis 3:8 TNIV
Then the man and his wife heard the sound of the Lord God as He was walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and they hid from the Lord God among the trees of the garden.
• Good people hide behind insecurities, their image, their reputation, their job, their relationships, their fear, or even the approval of everyone around them. Jesus didn’t hang on the cross so that we could hide in life and lead bound up lives. We’re not called to live passively. We’re called to be warriors, knowing who we are.
John 10:10 TNIV
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
2 Timothy 1:9 TNIV
…who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time…
• Until we have a revelation of this, we’ll always find ourselves hiding in life, never living out who were were called to be.
Judges 6:11-16 TNIV
The angel of the Lord came and sat down under the oak in Ophrah that belonged to Joash the Abiezrite, where his son Gideon was threshing wheat in a winepress to keep it from the Midianites. When the angel of the Lord appeared to Gideon, he said, “The Lord is with you, mighty warrior.” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but if the Lord is with us, why has all this happened to us? Where are all his wonders that our ancestors told us about when they said, ‘Did not the Lord bring us up out of Egypt?’ But now the Lord has abandoned us and given us into the hand of Midian.” The Lord turned to him and said, “Go in the strength you have and save Israel out of Midian’s hand. Am I not sending you?” “Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.” The Lord answered, “I will be with you, and you will strike down all the Midianites together.”
• Hide and seek sums up how most people live their lives. They’re hiding from their circumstances or their past or their insecurities. They’re seeking the truth, answers, relationship.
4 WAYS TO UNLEAS THE WARRIOR WITHIN:
1) SEE YOURSELF THE WYA GOD SEES YOU.
• When the majority of people look at themselves in the mirror, they don’t like what they see. They’re reminded of their failures and insecurities. If you have a negative view of yourself, you’ll never become who God destined you to be. You won’t see all there is to see. His Word needs to get inside of us so we can see what God sees.
Joshua 1:8 TNIV
Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.
• God sees more than what we see. He sees incredible potential. He sees your value. He sees you as a son or a daughter. He sees who we really are — who he’s destined us to be.
• Seeing isn’t always believing. Sometimes we need to believe in order to see.
1 Samuel 30:6 TNIV
David was greatly distressed because the men were talking of stoning him; each one was bitter in spirit because of his sons and daughters. But David found strength in the Lord his God.
• If we’re gonna see ourselves the way God sees us, sometimes we need to encourage ourselves.
2) THE STRENGTH YOU NEED TO OVERCOME IS ALREADY IN YOU.
• Gideon was completely unaware that the strength and the power that they needed was already inside of him.
• There are some sleeping giant Christians. It’s time to wake up.
• Go in strength now.
• The strength and greatness in us was placed there by God.
3) NEVER FORGET THAT GOD IS ALWAYS WITH YOU.
• He is never absent. • When you step out, God steps in.
• Even when you can’t hear what God is saying, remind yourself of what he’s already said.
Joshua 1:9 TNIV
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
Jeremiah 20:11 TNIV
But the Lord is with me like a mighty warrior; so my persecutors will stumble and not prevail. They will fail and be thoroughly disgraced; their dishonor will never be forgotten.
Matthew 28:20 TNIV
…and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
• God kept telling Gideon to whittle down his army. He knew that it would be impossible to have so little men defeat such a great Midianite army. That was the point. What is impossible with man is possible with God.
4) IT'S ONE THING TO KNOW WHAT TO DO, BUT IT'S ANOTHER THING TO DO IT.
•We have got to leave our wine press.
• Don’t just be okay with good intentions. Good intentions have never changed the world.
• As long as Gideon was hiding in the wine press, he was limiting himself. What wine press are you hiding in that you need to leave?
• Leave the fear that you’ve missed your calling.
Romans 11:29 TNIV
…for God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable.